Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Great Start for a New Year

January and February 2007

Business Updates
Our firm completed our office consolidation in 12/06 so the business is under one roof and located 5 minutes from my home. We had to do a complete built out from floors, electrical, heating, carpeting and all. It looks great.

Client wise we were awarded a five year maintenance contract with NJ Transit. We completed and was finally compensated for all of our work in 2006. Now we are activitely marketing ourselves again to our very targeted market.

In January were finally certified by the NY/NJ Port Authority as a Woman/Minority/Small Busines for Mechanical services to perform services up to 1/2 million dollars per contract. This process took almost 2 years. Also we were selected by the NY/NJ Purchasing Council to be mentored by Novartis Corporation. As a result we have been meeting with their Mechanical Maintenance team and hopefully this will translate into work. They assure us it will.

During Feb we submitted over 1.5 Million in bids. Needlessly to say it worn me out. But, it looks like we may be awarded a $480,000 contract with PSEG Fossil for piping work. Our meeting went well with their team. If it does happen this contract will position us to be significantly closer to being in the league with the BIG BOYS.

Development Updates
Not much Contact with my mentors during the second half of the program. On a personal level I completed an 12 week estimating course and a 6 week construction course. Now I need to focus on developing my staff and processes more so we can continue to get bids. I am sending a team of 4 to HVAC training to prepare for the summer season. Our finances are in need of professional help, especially since our bookkeeper dropped the ball, but we are still in working shape, thankfully. This year we have to built right repeatable relationships.

Media Updates
I was featured on the cover of Enterprising woman November 4, 2006. It was a real shock and quite and honor. I found out at the 2006 3M program. This program has taught me the power of media. In fact, I know I will have to keep working to drive media interest. I recently was put on the founding board of Professional Women in Construction, started a scholarship in the name of BI Group and completed two trade courses. I will have to see how I can create some real interest stories. Francise Glick did a fantastic job in linking Hands to Go to a human interest so she is a great role model. And, Maureen hit the Million. I am so proud of both of them.